Sunday, May 25, 2008

Rasta and "Perceptions of Conveniece"

I have been very interested in Rasta culture, first off because my brothers used to listen to Bob Marley a long time ago and started me on it when I was about 12 or so. Now being able to interpret the lyrics accurately I can appreciate his music more, and connect them to the history and culture of Rastafari. 
I noticed, as in the last readings this term, that "perceptions of convenience" were very common in Rasta as well. It is my overall philosophy that any lifestyle that employs perceptions of convenience is practically immune to destruction. What I mean by this is that, whenever a belief or tradition is presented with de-validating information, it comes up with an alteration of the original belief that fits in to that original belief. In Rastafari, the death of Hailie Selassie was viewed as a potential harm to the movement, but instead it did not have that effect because he was perceived as having moved back into the spirit world from whence he came, a substitution for accepting his death. His human form was only a tool to relay his message to the Rastafarian people, which was an idea that enabled followers during his lifetime to continue their beliefs and customs after it. Another example is the story of the Queen of Sheba, which is one of the determining factors of why Ethiopia is of such great importance in Rastafari. I think that without being able to change history and the present to fit in with beliefs, few religions would have a system of symbols strong enough to gain support and a following.

No comments: